h-s-c link link link

About Trichy


Tiruchirappalli is one of the most famous temple town of Tamilnadu, also called Tiruchi, this is the fourth largest town of Tamilnadu. The important temples are Rock Fort Temple, Ranganathaswamy Temple and Jambukeshwaram Temple.

Tiruchi is linked with Chennai by air, rail and road and has many good hotels for visitor’s stay St.Joseph's college can boast of its alumini being the President of India-namely Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, and Dr. R. Venkatraman the former president who came from National college.

This city has given great Tamil scholars whose contributions to the Tamil literature have been very significant.  Tiruchirapalli is one of the oldest inhabited cities in Tamil Nadu. Uraiyur, which served as the capital of the Early Cholas from the 3rd century BC to the 3rd century AD is a suburb of present-day Tiruchirapalli. The oldest human-built dam, Kallanai, was built by Karikala Cholan across the Kaveri River about 10 miles from Uraiyur. 

The medieval history of Tiruchirapalli begins with the reign of the Pallava king Mahendravarman I who ruled over South India in the 6th century AD. Mahendravarman laid the foundation of the Rockfort which is regarded as the cultural symbol of the city and is one of the oldest surviving monuments in Tamil Nadu. Following the demise of the Pallavas in the 8th century AD, Tiruchirapalli was conquered by the Medieval Cholas under whom it served as a regional stronghold. 

When the Chola Empire began to decline, Tiruchirapalli was conquered by the Pandyas who ruled from 1216 to 1311 when they were defeated by Malik Kafur. The victorious armies of the Sultanate are believed to plundered and ravaged the kingdom. According to a local legend, the idol of Lord Ranganatha in the Hindu temple of Sirangam was saved from destruction by transporting it out of the city. Tiruchirapalli was ruled by the Delhi Sultanate and the Madurai Sultanate from 1311 to 1378 when it was annexed by the Vijayanagar Empire.

Tiruchirapalli remained a part of the Vijayanagar Empire and its successor, the Madurai Nayak Dynasty from 1378 to 1736. Under the Madurai Nayak kingdom, Tiruchirapalli was an important stronghold in the wars against the Thanjavur Marathas and later, Chanda Sahib. It served as the capital of the kingdom from 1616 to 1634 and from 1665 to 1736. In 1736, the last Madurai Nayak ruler Meenakshi committed suicide and Tiruchirapalli was conquered by Chanda Sahib who ruled the kingdom from 1736 to 1740 when he was captured and killed by the Thanjavur Marathas. 

  • Summer temperature : 41.10°C (maximum) 36.40°C (minimum)
  • Winter temperature : 21.31°C (maximum) 18.60°C (minimum)

New No 36, Old No 56, Kalaimagal Nagar 2nd Main road, Ekkatuthangal,Chennai 600032. Phone No: 044 - 2433 1068. E-mail : customercare@jbsoftsystem.com

Powered by : J B Soft System, Chennai - 15